Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Bread Recipe, before it Gets Buried in Shamelessness

Jo's Granny's Bread Recipe

2 C. hot water (warm to touch)
2 pks yeast (4 1/2 tsp)

Mix, let set about 10 min or so.

Add:
2/3 C sugar (or honey or molasses or any combo of)
2 tsp salt
2 eggs
2 C flour (I use 1 C each white and whole wheat or rye or 2 C white)

let rise till doubled.

Then add:

1/2 C oil
2 C flour (I use 1/2 C white and 1/2 C wheat plus 1 cup of oatmeal - or 1 C white and 1 C wheat or rye - or 2 C white)

let rise till doubled.

Then add 1 C more flour (or same combo 1/2 and 1/2)

Shape loaves and let rise till doubled. (Split top with knife and pour on butter if desired.)

Bake at 350 till done. (Brown on top and kinda hollow sounding.)


I bet you could add all the flour, let rise and then shape and let rise again before you bake it. This is just the way Granny did it, so it is tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment